Pages

15 Nov 2011

life lesson from Calvin and Hobbes


I'm a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes. I used to read the comic books all the time. As I kid, reading them was just fun. Reading them as an adult, like the one above, brings new meaning. I find this one particularly inspiring : Wanting to have "the strength to change what [you] can, the inability to accept what [you] can't and the incapacity to tell the difference". To me that's the mind of someone who want to make a difference.

Those are great words to live by as opposed to the dictum where it was derived from saying "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom always to tell the difference". To me these are the words of someone who always has an excuse and don't accomplish as much as he or she can. I imagined this and many other quotes from Bill Watterson (the author) probably helped shaped the person I am today. I do have a tendency to want to change things and not let the naysayers stop me from doing what I think is right. (just realized this as I'm writing this post). I'm very grateful to Bill Watterson for this, and the great snowmen ideas :)  

Isn't it fascinating and amazing that something as simple as a comic strip can influence someone's life?  


images : 1 | 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts